Random Musings II

I found this quote by William Faulkner as told in the 1958 Paris Review:

“The aim of every artist is to arrest motion, which is life, by artificial means and hold it fixed so that a hundred years later, when a stranger looks at it, it moves again since it is life.”


Lately, I have been looking into various other artistic styles in an attempt to break away from the forms of art I usually gravitate towards. Typically, I draw portraits, portraits and more portraits, but I want to expand my horizons. I am hoping that my art will become less "stuffy" and more personable. Faulkner brought up a good point in the above quote, one's art needs to encapsulate not only the moment, but everything involved in that span of time. The light, the sounds, the movement, everything I feel my current and past work lacks. I have the technical artistic abilities down, now I need to explore what it actually means to be an artist and how to transfer that knowlesge into my work. 

So what does this mean? I believe for me to grow as an artist, I need to begin to create pieces I normally would not do. I recently joined an art group that I feel will help push me into trying various mediums/styles. I am hoping that in the next few months, I will create pieces that exemplify these new found ideals. Hopefully, I will have more work to display in the next few months, but until then, hold tight! New things are just around the corner! :D

Comments

Popular Posts